©iStock / Jacob Ammentorp Lund
Students and research assistants: from university to business foundation
Have you come across an exciting business idea during your studies or while working as a research assistant? Start your own business now.
Students and research assistants bring a lot of creative potential with them and are also up to date with the latest research. This gives them the best possible qualifications to start a business.
Universities are becoming increasingly important for the start-up ecosystem in North Rhine-Westphalia. This is where knowledge and technologies are developed and business ideas created. Most of the companies supported by venture capital come from the university context.
The state of North Rhine-Westphalia is well positioned for this: 70 universities and 14 clusters of excellence speak for themselves. Funding programmes increase the rate at which this potential is converted into start-ups.
Overview of the measures
There is a bundle of measures for this:
- Start-up founders from universities can get special support and advice under the Exzellenz Start-up Center North Rhine-Westphalia (information in German only). To encourage a zest for entrepreneurship in university students, interested parties can contact start-up advisers at universities who provide support for funding applications for programmes in North Rhine-Westphalia and Germany.
- Start-up teams from universities are being supported directly through the Start-up Transfer NRW funding programme (information in German only). Start-up projects can receive funding of up to 320,000 euros from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) and the state of North Rhine-Westphalia.
- In addition to the traditional funding channels we also offer for start-ups by students and academic staff the EXIST programmes for start-up grants and research transfers provided by the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action. They support scientists and students with innovative start-ups. For example, living expenses under the EXIST start-up grant programme are funded for a maximum of one year up to 3,000 euros per month, plus money for coaching sessions or material expenses. Further information can be found here.
With additional individual measures, the start-up procedure for students and research assistants should also be simplified:
- NRW patent validation programme for overcoming technological hurdles,
- Standard licence agreement for use by business founders,
- Option for business founders to take terms off.
Social media settings
By activating these fields by clicking, information will be send to the following services and saved there:
Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google, Pinterest, Instagram, Flickr, Vimeo
Please read carefully our notes and information on Data Privacy and Netiquette (in German) before you activate individual social media.
Activate data feeds from Social Networks permanently and consent to data transfer: